Sunday 23 September 2012

Shape, Pattern & Texture

Two pieces from my final GCSE year of photography on Shape, Pattern and Texture. I worked solely with film but because of this unfortunately the digital copy of my photographs doesn't have the same feel or quality that the original image has.

Into: In our everyday surroundings patterns, shape and textures are repeated constantly. They can often change the way we feel about places when photographing them. In this project I have explored how shape, pattern and texture is repeated in a range of locations. 

I have looked at man-made building and natural occurrences, and have also looked at how weather and time of day can affect locations.

I hope to show how shape, pattern and texture can change the feel of a location or mood. I want to show how the same building can look and feel very different when observed from different viewpoint.






First Photograph: This photograph is high key at eye level. I took this photograph because it shows the texture of bricks and the wooden bench. The pattern of the bricks is repeated though out the photograph, the lines of the windows, and wall and the bench makes the eye focus on the end of the line of the windows at vanishing point in the background giving it a large depth of field and a large sense of perspective. The weather was nice when I took the shot so I only needed a short shutter speed. The left image I printed with the negatives the right way up, the other the wrong way up, giving me two opposite perspectives. This gives a completely different affect to the viewer as it make them questioning the image and forces them to look at it in a unnatural way.

Second Photograph: In the center of the photograph is a bike leaning against a wall facing the camera diagonally that stretches almost all the way across the photograph to vanishing point. The pattern of the tiles on the floor also pulls the eye back to vanishing point. The photograph is taken from eye level. I also had to use a long shutter speed as there was little light because of the weather. Because of this my film for very pale and I had to use a filter when print my photographs.

More of my work - My Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment